"This little light of mine...."



Monday, September 26, 2011

Blessings in Even the Sleepiest of Sleepless Nights

Last night, was a very dark night for Eric and I. I cant put into words how much we were longing for Lucy. There is this emptiness in our family. A hole that cannot be filled. I lay in our bed and tossed for several hours. My heart was racing and I couldnt even keep my eyes closed. I prayed and begged for sleep. I picked up my phone and read this morning's devotional. Now my prayers for sleep turned to prayers for song. This is the devotional that I read:

Choosing to sing in the Night.

God my Maker... gives the songs in the night.  Job 35:10

The Lord will command His loving kindness in the daytime;
And His song will be with me in the night.
A prayer to the God of my life.            Psalm 42:8

It is very late.
It is very dark.
It is very quiet.
So quiet that it seems all the world must be sleeping.
Suddenly a bird begins to sing.
How beautiful!
How clear!
... how strange.

Why is that bird singing, Lord? It is so dark. I doubt it is because of a full stomach, and the heavy thunderstorm we had this afternoon certainly didnt leave her a dry nest to warble about. Why? Why does she sing?

I qustion whether it could be for her benefit in any way. She doesnt even know anyone is listening. She's all by herself in the world out there. I cannot imagine that it is for a sense of "fulfillment"...  birds dont have that capacity, do they Lord?

And I am quite sure that it is NOT because she had a "good day". She has worked hard all day getting enough food. Her nest may have been destroyed in the storm; her tiny little ones may have been killed. All sorts of bad things... and yet she sings!

Is it to make the darkness beautiful?
Is she serenading her loved one?
Is it to declare her territorial boundaries?
Is it a source of comfort from You for those who might be listening?

Lord, regardless of her reason, that little bird is being used by You. She is glorifying You through her song.

I too, by Your grace, can choose to sing in the night, in the darkness, in the stillness, when I am all alone. Then others will say, "why is she singing? Its so dark!" And I can answer:

"My Maker gives me songs in the night."

Before He can give me a song in the night, I must experience the night.


Thank you, Lord, for Your perfect timing, for Your words and Your book that encourages us to live for Your glory. May I be a story of Your grace today, and let my light shine. I will sing my song for You in the darkest of dark nights. I love you, Lord. Amen.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment