"This little light of mine...."



Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lucy's Birthday


On the morning of May 19th our sweet Lucia Faith was born and lived a glorious 19 minutes until she took her last breath in mommy and daddy’s arms. This is longer than any doctor expected her to be here, and we are so grateful for that priceless time that will stay in our hearts forever.  We are so thankful that our family was able to meet Lucy, and thankful for the many memories we were able to create in the short time she was here.  Instantly, when we saw Lucy, Eric and I both said she resembles so much of her big sister, Sophie. Thank you Lord for this treasure. We find comfort in seeing Lucy in her big sister; this is His soothing gift of peace knowing she will always be in our family.

Everything about Lucy’s short life was graceful. Her labor was quick and it was peaceful. Her heart beat so strong and constant throughout our labor.  My little girl held on, our little Lucy surprised these doctors through and through.  When she arrived, there was instant silence, the entire room held their breath as the doctors detected her heartbeat. My Lucia was here! Her little body was so pink, so perfect, so delicate. Her head full of dark brown wavy hair, each strand lay perfectly placed on her head. Her little button nose and her big beautiful dark eyes, her tiny little mouth, her big pink cheeks I must have kissed every inch of this girl a hundred times. Her perfect little hands and feet, oh Lucy, we love you so.  Even her breathing, so light and she let out the slightest little sound, as if just to let us know she was here. We loved her, all of us, her whole family; we made that known to her for every portion of every second she was with us. 

We knew her heart was slowing, but there was so much joy within our hearts as we celebrated the sheer miracle of her birth.  And then just like that, as gracious as her entrance into this world, with no pain, no hurt, she went to sleep and woke up safely in the arms of our Heavenly Father.  She woke with her Father, healed and complete. Her heart was no longer deteriorating, it was whole and she was made well.


Lucy,

Thank you, my tiny dancer. Thank you for holding on for so long. Thank you for being so strong and so brave and for teaching me so much in the short time you were here.  Thank you for letting us meet you, and feel your breath on my face. Thank you for wrapping your little hand around my finger and not letting go. Thank you for the blessing you have been to this family. Thank you for letting me carry you and cuddle you for 37 weeks, and then giving me another 19 minutes after your birth. Thank you for all of those moments we shared together. Thank you for all the kicks, the butterflies, the comfort, sweet Lucy- Thank you for dancing for mommy. Thank you for being my daughter and letting me love you. 

Thank you for living in my heart forever.

Love,       
Mommy

I thank you, Lord, for giving me peace, for giving me strength, for this journey, for healing my Lucy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks SO much for sharing your story with us! Precious, precious pictures :)
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful way of looking at the moments she was with you. I had 3 grandchildren get killed last year on Nov. 11th and I look at things like that too. I miss them alot..Don't get me wrong but I am so thankful the time they were in my life. I know they are with God and for every 1000 days here is one day to them in Heaven so we will see them soon.

    ReplyDelete