"This little light of mine...."



Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Team Lucy's Light Marches for Babies 2011

March for Babies Team Lucy's Light 2011 "This Little Light of Mine"
I have been struggling the past couple of days to post a blog about our March of Dimes experience. Not out of lack of desire, but because I cannot find the words to express how proud we are of this team, and I cannot find the words to express the gratitude we feel towards everyone who joined us, who walked with us, who donated to March of Dimes, who spread the word about the team, who prayed for baby Lucy.
Grandma, Aunt Dee Dee, Tia Nita, Daddy/Mommy, Dom, Sophie *and baby Lucy

So I say, simply, Thank You, We love you all and we hope you join us again next year!

Reba and Sophie showing off their tutu's

That morning, our early bird walkers met up to take this team picture. There were so many teams there! I think I heard somewhere around 40,000 registered walkers. Our team was made up of approximately 80 walkers who came out that morning. (And here I thought, I didn't even KNOW 80 people!) We were made up of family, even family that traveled to be here just for the event, our friends, our CARE group, coworkers, former coworkers, people who heard about Lucy's Light through friends of friends of friends... These super troopers raised over $7,000 for March of Dimes!
Lucy's Grandma & Grandpa with our Montoya Family showing support

Lucy's Light started because we wanted to do something meaningful, something positive in the midst of everything that was going on with Lucy at the time. When we started this team, we had the idea that our immediate families would walk with us, maybe a team of 10, and we'd collect maybe 500 bucks, tops.  We had no idea this team would take off the way that it did, or that so many people would support this wonderful cause with us. We were blown away by the contributions and the prayers and the encouragement that started pouring in immediately after starting the team.

We have been so blessed to meet other family teams this year. These graceful families that shared a bit of their babies with us made it a million times more real. I see these families who have already experienced their loss, these same families that encourage us to keep fighting for Lucy, and the ones that tell us never to give up.  These parents, they take my breath away. So inspirational, each of them offering so much hope, all of them just strengthening my faith in God.

One grandmother tells me her daughter's baby was given the same prognosis as Lucy, yet they were able to spend an entire week with their sweet baby before she passed. She talked to me about all the family that was able to meet their baby and the memories they made. I want this for Lucy, I want this for our families.  This grandmother isnt alone, so many parents shared similar stories with us. So many families spoke to me with such peace.

He brings them peace, they bring my comfort, He calls me closer to Him. 

This walk has changed me... has encouraged me to go bigger next year. I want to raise more money and meet more families and make an impact, in honor of our little Lucy. I write this blog on the day that marks Lucy's 35th week, and no matter what is written for Lucy, or how many more days/weeks we have left, Lucy's Light will shine for March of Dimes for years and years to come. 

Thank you again, team Lucy's Light-- we hope to see you all again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment